Adolescence is a time of dramatic change. Suddenly, teens can experience a lot of stress, depression and anxiety. As a result, their academic performance, the quality of their family relationships and their own well-being can be adversely affected.
In extreme cases, adolescents can get involved in high-risk behaviors. For example, some adolescents can abuse drugs, commit acts of self-harm, and develop behavioral disorders that can lead to jail or hospital.
Jorge has experience working with young people of 16 years and older with this kind of difficulties. Jorge uses CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) and MI (Motivational Interviewing) therapeutic approach. Generally teens who complete therapy can:
* Increase communication and reduce family conflict.
* Learn strategies to handle mental, academic and interpersonal difficulties.
* Increase the motivation to change and develop personal goals.
A romantic relationship can give us a sense of belonging, commitment and love. Relationships that are healthy and lasting have common actors: expression of affection; unconditional support, balance of power and spiritual growth.
Many couples experience separation, divorce, and spousal abuse. In extreme cases, fights between partners can lead to domestic violence, drug or alcohol abuse and infidelity.
Jorge has experience working with this type of sensitive issues. Having worked in the jail system and with Child Welfare, has allowed Jorge to be compassionate and results oriented.
Jorge has received EFT training (Emotional Focused Therapy), a type of therapy that helps the couple to:
* Communicate with respect, authenticity and honesty.
* Identify your personal needs and ask for help from your spouse.
* Create couple bonds through the use of empathy, listening and understanding.
Some people have suffered emotional, physical, sexual or psychological trauma. These people
suffer humiliation, guilt and tension. Other people have experienced catastrophic events,
like exposure to war/crime, toxic discrimination and family violence.
make these individuals isolate themselves, feeling alone and without a purpose. Jorge has
received training in CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy). Jorge can help you:
* Understand and identify the physiological, emotional and mental signals that cause the trauma.
* Learn strategies to minimize the symptoms of anxiety, depression and suicide.
* Develop a plan to increase protective factors, such as exercise, spirituality and support.
Studies show that 1 in 5 Canadians experience a mental health problem or
addiction. Mental problems such as depression, anxiety, eating disorders and self-harm are real and you may know someone who suffers from these symptoms.
Jorge has tremendous experience working with youth and adults addiction programs, inlcluding detoxification, residential treatment, and outpatient programs. As a result, you have a knowledgeable Psychologist who can support you in finding the right program for you.
Jorge has training in MI (Motivational Interviewing), and CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), which are therapies that help clients to Improve in:
* Understand the type of drugs and how they affect the body.
* Develop a plan to eliminate or reduce the use of alcohol and / or drugs.
* Know that other options exist to treat severe addiction.
Why is it that an individual suffering a mental health issues may do well with individual programs, but when family is involved, usually there is a relapse?
Mental illness is linked to the quality of relationships that individuals have with their loved ones. If there is death in the family, then grief may transform into depression. If a spouse cheats then , the entire family system suffers.
Family therapy is useful for issues including: inheritance problems, blended families, multiracial marriages a and chronic illness. Though a combination of Solution Focused therapy and EFT, these goals may be accomplished:
* Understand that it is domestic abuse, how it impacts the family and locate appropriate resources.
* Improve family relationships that show affection, respect and union.
* Create economic, spiritual and social goals to lead a balanced life
* Deal appropriately with a life threatening illness.